The Winter Ball at Castle d’Ursel is a fine tradition. On Saturday 25 November 2017 we are welcoming you again, with flickering candles on the drive, drinks and refreshments in the mirrored room and of course an extensive programme of dances in the hall. This year's theme will be 1873.
In 1873 Johann Strauss composes "Wiener Blut", a waltz that even today most of us would recognise. A year later Strauss becomes even more famous with his operetta "Die Fledermaus".
Ballrooms all over Europe are under the spell of the waltz, but also the polka and the mazurka – and their variations like the redowa and the varsovienne – add swing to every dance evening. At the same time classic quadrilles remain popular - and new variations are created, like the much danced Fledermaus Quadrille. In France, there is a renewed love for the rococo period, and 18th-century dances are reinterpreted and danced again.
Accompanied by period music ensemble, dancing master Lieven Baert will stand ready to guide you in the steps and figures of this rich tradition. A free training session will be held in the afternoon before the ball.
Dresscode for the Winter Ball is the fashion of 1873: first bustle, queu de Paris or tournure for the ladies, dark tail coat and trousers for the gentlemen.
In between times you can explore the upper floors of the castle and pose with your party for our house photographer. As usual, we will prepare some interesting side activities and refreshments in the adjacent salons.
Accommodation will be available at Het Laathof, the youth tourism centre on the castle estate, both of Friday 24 and Saturday 25 November.
Interested to dance at the Winter Ball? Then let us know quickly, as the number of places is limited!
You can also find this event on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/events/239184503199417/).
• Saturday 25 November 2017 (doors open at 19h30, ball begins at 20h and last dance after midnight)
• Admission: 65 € (includes dance training session from 14 to 17h and drinks and refreshments during the ball)
• Bed and breakfast at Het Laathof: 35 € per person per night (basic accommodation, possibly with shared bathroom). Please specify the number of nights.
• Reservation for ball and for accommodation at Het Laathof: email@example.com
• Payment: your reservation will only be confirmed after full payment of the admission fee and the accommodation (BE54 0910 1850 4797, BIC: GKCCBEBB, mention: ‘Winter Ball’)